This play on a mezcal margarita is surprisingly smooth and perfectly spicy. Simply combine mezcal, coconut water, citrus tonic, lime and Ancho Reyes Verde to create this tasty concoction. It’s perfectly crisp, undeniably fresh and utterly refreshing.
Coconut Mezcal Margarita
It’s the freakin’ weekend and I’m so excited to be debuting our new Friday series called Happiest Hour featuring this Mezcal Margarita! Happiest Hour will feature insane cocktails, made by my hubby, that will make your weekends fancy AF. And since this is our first one, I’ll give you a little insight into why we’re doing this!
My husband, Jeremy Johnston, is not only a world renowned professional surfer but he’s also a very handsome cocktail genius! Beyond surfing and slangin’ surfboards at Quiet Flight, Jeremy also runs Grander Rum’s social media page. Through that, he discovered his passion for creating insanely delicious cocktails! He’s basically an at-home mixologist which makes our weekends so much more fun. Especially if you’re like us and want to avoid Friday night crowds.
Each week, I’ll share one of Jeremy’s tasty cocktail recipes along with some pairings. If you keep scrolling, you can see some of my favorite dishes that I recommend most. So if you’d rather cuddle on the couch tonight like us – try making one of these restaurant worthy combos right at home.
And if you’re wondering about the brands we used, I’ll link them out here!
So let’s get to it, shall we?
DISHES TO SERVE WITH MEZCAL
If you’d like some recipes to go along with this mezcal margarita, I highly recommend either making one of these!
- Coconut Tequila Fish Tacos – This recipe will pair perfectly with this cocktail because the flavor profiles sink right up! Marinate fresh mahi with tequila, cumin, garlic, lime and jalapenos. Cook it up and serve it with creamy avocado salsa and a tangy tropical red cabbage slaw. It’s not only super pretty but it goes hand and hand with this cocktail!
- Easy Chicken Tinga – Chicken Tinga is one of my favorite Mexican dishes because of its versatility. I recommend making a big batch of it and using it throughout the weekend. In this post, I share three different ways to utilize it – in quesadillas, in a salad, and of course, in tacos!
- 7 Layer Dip Grilled Cheese – 7 Layer dip isn’t just for super bowl parties anymore! This flavorful grilled cheese features all the goodness in this loveable dip, but stacked on top of each other and served in grilled cheese form. It’s loaded with Pepper Jack Cheese, Avocado, Roasted Corn, Pickled Red Onion, Refried Black Beans, Cilantro & Fresh Tomatoes. All you need is this tasty mezcal margarita to wash it all down!
- DIY Crunch Wrap Supreme – I’ll admit that Taco Bell is probably my #1 fast food choice. And I’ll also admit that making this crunch wrap at home is about 300% better than the real thing. By using better ingredients, you’ll instantly see how much more flavor and texture this perfectly handheld creation can have.
- Honey Tequila Mexican Street Corn – Move over Elote, honey tequila street corn is where it’s at! Skip the mayo and make this version of Mexican street corn with queso fresco and a honey-tequila glaze. It’s the perfect side dish to pair with Jerm’s cocktail and any of these main dishes.
- Mojo Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese with Mango Habanero Gouda – This sweet and spicy Grilled Cheese will transport you right to tropical paradise. Sounds pretty good right? It’s loaded with mojo pork, mango habanero gouda, cilantro, refried black beans, butter and white bread. One bite of this sandwich, and you’ll be whisked away to warmer times.
Skinny Mezcal Coconut Margarita
- 2 oz Vida Mezcal
- 1 oz Coconut Water
- 3/4 oz Lime Juice
- 1/4 oz Ancho Reyes Verde
- 1 splash Fever-Tree Citrus Tonic Water
- Pour all ingredients into a shaker except the citrus tonic water. Shake vigorously until chilled. Pour into a cup over ice and add a splash of citrus tonic water. Garish with a lime wheel and enjoy!
So of course, drink responsibly and have a super fun weekend! As my mama always says “Make Good Choices!”