This avocado grilled cheese is super creamy, slightly spicy and perfectly crunchy. It’s made with lots of delicious fontina cheese, chipotle mayo and fresh sliced avocado and sourdough bread.
What is Avocado Grilled Cheese?
This avocado grilled cheese sandwich that's unlike anything you've ever experienced before.
The creaminess of the avocado perfectly complements the irresistible meltiness of the Fontina cheese.
But wait, there's more! A subtle yet fiery kick from the chipotle mayo takes every bite to new heights.
It's an absolute game-changer for those seeking a touch of heat and a desire to elevate their traditional grilled cheese game.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Sourdough Bread - Pretty much any bread of your liking will work. White, wheat, rye - whatever you like!
- Mayo - You can skip the mayo if you don't like it but you really can't taste it once it's blended with the chipotles.
- Chipotles in Adobo - I love using chipotles in adobo because it just packs so much flavor. If you don't like heat, you can skip this or use a mild hot sauce of your choice.
- Fontina Cheese - Fontina works beautifully for grilled cheese but you could def use another easy melter like muenster, cheddar, pepperjack or swiss.
- Avocado - If you don't live avocado, this sandwich is still delicious without it. No real subs for it though.
- Salted Butter - Regular butter or olive oil works well, too. Just don't use margarine because the water content makes the bread not as crispy.
- Garlic Salt - garlic powder and a pinch of salt work perfectly fine for a replacement.
How to Make it
Making an avocado grilled cheese on sourdough is beyond simple.
First, you'll want to smear some mayo onto one slice of bread then smear the chipotles on top.
**You could also use pureed chipotles or even store bought chipotle mayo if that works for you**
Now you're going to add avocado - mashing it into the bread so that it’s all the same height. Sprinkle it with a little bit of salt.
After that, top the avocado with the cheese and add the other slice of bread on top.
Evenly butter the outside of the sandwich and sprinkle it with garlic salt.
Place it in a cast iron skillet or fry pan over medium low heat.
Let the sandwich cook for few minutes on each side, flipping once the crust is golden brown and the cheese has slightly melted.
Once the other side is golden brown and the cheese from both sides has melted, remove it from the heat and serve.
What sides go with grilled cheese?
As for sides, I recommend serving them with some of this perfect Easy Grinder Salad, Skewered Watermelon with Tajin, or even Rustic Tortellini Soup with Kale and Parmesan, or even Chicken Florentine Soup with Orzo.
And if you want more cheesy goodness, try this one pot cheesy orzo, this ciabatta caprese sandwich, creamy pesto pasta or even this Trader Joe's Sweet corn Burrata Raviolis with Lemon Basil Cream Sauce.
Frequently asked questions
Can I make this sandwich ahead of time?
Since aocado tends to brown when exposed to air, it's best to assemble and cook the sandwich just before serving. However, you can prepare the ingredients in advance and quickly assemble and cook the sandwich when you're ready to eat.
Can I add additional ingredients to the sandwich?
Absolutely! Feel free to customize your Avocado Grilled Cheese by adding ingredients like sliced tomatoes, bacon, caramelized onions, or spinach. Experiment with different flavors to suit your own personal taste preferences.
Can I use a different type of cheese instead of Fontina?
100% Yes! You can use any easily melting cheese that you prefer or have on hand. Some popular alternatives include muenster, cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or Gouda.
Save this recipe for later
Want to save this avocado grilled cheese recipe for another time? I got you!
You can pin any image on this page or use the pretty ones I made below specifically for your grilled cheese pinterest boards.
And if pinterest isn't really your thing, you can always scroll down to the bottom of this post and print the printable recipe card.
Avocado Grilled Cheese with Fontina and Chipotle
- Smear mayo onto one slice of bread then smear the chipotles on top. **You could also use pureed chipotles or store bought chipotle mayo if that works for you**
- Add avocado - mashing it in so that it’s all the same height and sprinkle with a little bit of salt.
- Top with the cheese and add the other slice of bread on top.
- Evenly butter the outside of the sandwich and sprinkle with garlic salt. Place it in a cast iron skillet or fry pan over medium low heat.
- Let the sandwich cook for few minutes on each side, flipping once the crust is golden brown and the cheese has slightly melted.
- Once the other side is golden brown and the cheese from both sides has melted, remove it from the heat and serve.