Watermelon with Tajin is one of my favorite summertime treats! Tajin, which is a spicy, sour and salty Mexican seasoning blend is delicious on pretty much everything you put it on... but when it comes to watermelon, well it's my favorite! The contrasting flavors make the watermelon taste even sweeter and more delicious. And serving this combo on skewers make everything more fun!
Whenever I go to the Farmers Market, I always go straight for my favorite booth.
This booth is run by a local Mexican family and they have a ton of delicious Mexican fruits like Mamey, Cherimoya, Guavas, Jicama and more!
And the best part? Not only do they sell fruit cups that are filled with bite sized watermelon, mango, jicama and pineapple. But the fruit cups are COVERED in Tajin!
Tajin on fruit is one of my favorite things in the world and it always reminds me of summertime.
Although this Mexican spice blend itself is slightly spicy, sour and salty, when added to fruit, the fruit tastes sweeter!
It's a wild flavor combo that is downright addictive.
And with summer here, I thought why not show off my favorite combo with some cute watermelon skewers that are perfect for summer get togethers.
Full disclosure, this recipe is one of those none-recipe recipes.
It's super easy to make and you truly don't need to follow any exact recipe but more of a guideline.
I'm mainly making this blog post so people who haven't had Tajin before can experience it's wonderfulness!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Watermelon - For this exact recipe, you need watermelon but if you want to switch it up or use a variety of fruits, try pineapple, mango, jicama or even cucumber!
- Lime - I think the fresh lime juice accentuates the dried lime powder in the tajin but this is optional!
- Tajin - The star of the show! If you don't have tajin, you could also use Trader Joe's Chili Lime Seasoning or another variation of a Mexican inspired chili lime seasoning blend.
- Wooden Skewers - I'm using wooden skewers that are pointed at the end so that the watermelon slides on easy!
How to make Watermelon with Tajin
Making watermelon with Tajin is super simple and honestly, you don't really need a recipe!
Basically, you'll want to start by cutting your watermelon into large chunks.
Then grab some wooden skewers and add a few watermelon chunks to each one.
Place the loaded skewers on a serving platter and squirt with lime juice.
Finish by showering the watermelon skewers with as much Tajin as you'd like -- then serve!
How to pronounce Tajin
I'm definitely guilty of unknowingly pronouncing Tajin incorrectly.
In fact, it is pronounced Tah-heen and not Tah-jeen like I have been saying most of my adult life.
What is Tajin
Tajin is a popular Mexican seasoning blend that's made with dehydrated lime juice, chili powder and salt.
It's slightly spicy, sour, and salty and it's SO GOOD!
It's super versatile, too! You can serve on anything from fruit to chicken.
It's also a main ingredient on Elote, Mexican Street Corn, which is one of my favorite side dishes ever!
Where to Buy Tajin
I recommend buying Tajin from a local Mexican market.
But if you don't have one near you, you can find it at many national grocery stores nationwide.
In Publix, where I shop, you can find it in Mexican section of the ethnic food aisle.
You could also always just order Tajin on amazon using my affiliate link, too!
What to pair it with
Honestly, Watermelon with Tajin could go with anything!!
If you want it paired with Mexican inspired recipes, try my stovetop carne asada, chicken bacon ranch quesadillas, chicken tinga or even my favorite steak picado. On the side, try my queso mac and cheese!
If you want another suggestion, try it as a side dish with this hummus bagel or even these Thai inspired canned tuna lettuce wraps!
Save this recipe for later
If you don't want to forget about this recipe, save it to your pinterest board!
And shameless plug, follow me on pinterest and instagram if you'd like tasty inspiration shared daily!!
You could also just scroll to the very bottom and print the printable recipe card if you you'd like!
Skewered Watermelon with Tajin
- ½ small watermelon cut into 1" cubes
- 1 lime
- ½ tsp Tajin
- 6 Long Wooden Skewers (or more!)
- Add a few watermelon cubes to each skewer and place on a serving platter.
- Grab your lime and cut into the middle of it. Remove the knife, and stick the tip of the knife back in to one of the ends of the original cut, facing the other direction, so a zig-zag pattern is created.
- Repeat this process until the cuts meet, then carefully pull the lime apart and you will see two beautifully cut zig zag limes. Please refer to the video for a more visual approach!
- Next, squeeze a little lime juice on the watermelon skewers, then sprinkle the whole thing with as much Tajin as you would like before serving.
These all look delicious! I wish there were recipes that did not require equal billing with everything else! It’s a health issue as one ages, cheese can do a significant amount of damage to your heart and arteries! The grape tomatoes, feta cheese recipe is scrumptious!