Say hello to my all time favorite Ciabatta Caprese sandwich! This little Italian inspired recipe is the perfect combination of fresh and vibrant flavors held together by delicious toasted ciabatta bread. It is my friend's number one sandwich request when we have a beach day!
What is a Ciabatta Caprese Sandwich?
A Ciabatta Caprese Sandwich is a classic Italian Vegetarian Sandwich.
This type of sandwich is made with ciabatta bread, fresh mozzarella cheese, ripe tomatoes, basil leaves, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Unlike traditional caprese sandwiches, I add a layer of marinated roasted red peppers for added deliciousness.
Ingredients and Substitutions to make Ciabatta Caprese Sandwich
- Ciabatta bun - You can use any sort of baguette but I love how these are the perfect size for picnics
- Olive oil - Olive oil is best. I recommend using Get Graza or another high quality olive oil of your choice.
- Balsamic glaze - You can make your own or you could use storebought. I always have this one on hand because it's delicious and saves me time and energy.
- Heirloom tomatoes - I've actually made this with sun dried tomatoes and it works really well if your fresh tomatoes are lackluster!
- Marinated Roasted Red Pepper - You need to have the marinated kind to really make this sandwich pop. This is the one I always use.
- Fresh Mozzarella - Fresh mozzarella is best. I do not recommend using low moisture mozzarella. You could also swap it for buffalo mozzarella or burrata.
- Fresh basil - Fresh basil is what I recommend but you could also use pesto if you need to!
- Garlic Clove - This is for rubbing on the bread so one fresh clove is what I recommend. You could also use garlic powder or garlic salt if you've got it.
- Flaky Salt - Maldon is the best texture and flavor wise but regular salt will also work just fine.
- Pepper - Fresh cracked pepper is what I recommend but you could also just use regular black or white pepper or even red pepper flakes if that floats your boat!
How to make Ciabatta Caprese Sandwich
Making my signature caprese sandwich is super easy!
To begin, you'll want to toast your ciabatta bread.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a cast iron pan over medium heat and a the dd the ciabatta bread, interior side facing down.
Once toasted, rub the interior of the bread with a garlic clove.
Now venly add the remaining olive oil and balsamic glaze on top.
Add the heirloom tomatoes to the bottom half and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add marinated red pepper and mozzarella followed by more salt and pepper.
Add the basil and close the sandwich up.
Slice in half and enjoy or wrap in wax paper and a ziplock bag for later.
What goes with Ciabatta Caprese Sandwich?
For dessert, I highly recommend my Viral TIKTOK Cinnamon Rolls With Heavy Cream.
Save this recipe for later
Want to save this Ciabatta Caprese Sandwich for another time? I got you!
You can pin any image on this page or use the pretty ones I made below specifically for your lunch pinterest boards.
And if pinterest isn't really your thing, you can always scroll down to the bottom of this post and print the printable recipe card.
Ciabatta Caprese Sandwich
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a cast iron pan over medium heat and toast the interior of the bread.
- Once toasted, rub the interior of the bread with a garlic clove then evenly add the remaining olive oil and balsamic glaze on top.
- Add the heirloom tomatoes to the bottom half and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add marinated red pepper and mozzarella followed by more salt and pepper.
- Add the basil and close the sandwich up.
- Slice in half and enjoy or wrap in wax paper and a ziplock bag for later.