This rustic tortellini soup is what dreams are made of! Creamy tomato broth is loaded carrots, celery, onion, kale, red pepper flakes, parmigiano and cheese tortellini. And although the soup itself is vegetarian, you could definitely bulk it up with some italian sausage or even some diced chicken.
I don’t often dream about soup, but let me telly you something — I haven’t stopped thinking of this recipe since I first made it a few days ago!
It’s rich and creamy, spicy and hearty. It’s basically the perfect soup for winter.
The broth is almost like of a spicy vodka sauce mixed with tomato soup and for that, your taste buds will be so happy!
I made the broth myself but you could totally just used whatever boxed broth you have on hand!
And if you aren’t already, I recommend making your own, too! The easiest way to do this is to place some chicken bones in a crock pot with veggie scraps (think onion, carrot, celery pieces).
Then add water and salt and put the lid on. Let the broth simmer for up to 24 hours for a rich and delicious bone broth that is full of flavor!
They also sent me their Our Place bowls and plates which I’m using in all of these pictures. They’re literally drop dead BEAUTIFUL! And they make a great Christmas present if you’re in the market!
But anyways, let’s get to cookin’!
(scroll to the bottom for the full printable recipe)
- olive oil
- red pepper flakes
- a can of diced tomatoes
- broth (either bone broth, chicken or vegetable)
- fresh kale
- frozen or fresh cheese tortellini
- heavy cream
- kosher salt
- grated parmigiano (plus the rind if you have one!)
How to make this rustic tortellini soup
Making this rustic tortellini soup is so easy! Plus, the aromas will make your house smell warm, inviting, and totally amazing!
The first thing you’ll want to do is chop your vegetables.
Once the veggies are chopped, I recommend putting the scraps in a ziplock bag and sticking them in the freezer so you can use them to make another round of broth later on.
Now add olive oil, onion, carrots, celery, red pepper flakes and salt to a large pot and sauté over medium heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
Once the veggies are soft and slightly caramelized, add a can of diced tomatoes, whatever broth your using, and a parmigiano rind if you have one! Let this mixture simmer for 20 minutes.
Now it’s time to add the chopped fresh kale, the cheese tortellinis and the heavy cream.
Simmer this mixture for another 5-10 minutes to cook the tortellini.
Stir in the grated parmigiano and pour the soup into a bowl.
Top with more parmigiano and some red pepper flakes if you want to!
What if I want to add protein?
Although this soup is vegetarian, it would be SO delicious with some protein.
I recommend adding either italian sausage or some chopped rotisserie chicken.
If you’re adding sausage, start by adding 1/2 lb of raw sausage to your pot. Once it’s cooked through, add the onions and continue the recipe as written.
If you’re adding cooked rotisserie chicken, you’ll do so at the end when you add the tortellini.
How to freeze it
If you’d like to freeze this recipe, it’s totally doable.
Follow the recipe as-is but do not add the tortellini yet.
When the soup is ready, let it cool. Then add the tortellini to the pot.
Pour the soup into a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to eat it, you can let the soup defrost in the fridge for 24-48 hours. Or you can run the soup container under cool water until it loosens. Then add it to a pan and simmer the soup over medium heat until it’s hot.
Be sure to season with salt before serving and top with more parmigiano and red pepper flakes if desired.
What to pair it with
To be honest, I think this soup pairs perfectly with some crusty toasted bread that’s slathered with salty butter.
Save this recipe for later
Want to remember this recipe for a later date?!
Simply hover over these pictures below and save them on your pinterest page!
And if you don’t already, feel free to give me a follow me on pinterest for daily inspiration for tasty dishes, cool home renovations, interesting DIY projects and more!
Rustic Tortellini Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 3 medium carrots roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups bone broth regular chicken or vegetable broth will work too!
- 1/4 cup parmigiano plus the rind if you have one!
- 2 cups kale roughly chopped
- 2 cups cheese tortellini frozen or fresh work!
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt
- In a large pot, add olive oil, onion, carrots, celery, red pepper flakes and salt and sauté over medium heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- Add canned diced tomatoes, broth (and parmigiano rind if you have one) and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add kale, tortellini, and heavy cream and simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until the tortellini is heated through. Finish with the parmigiano (saving a little for plating).
- Season with more salt to taste.
- Place soup in bowls and top with grated parmigiano and red pepper flakes if desired.