This Avocado Bagel is one of my favorite recipes of all time! it was inspired by an insanely expensive breakfast that I had at Gjusta in LA. It’s super fresh, flavorful, colorful, and filling. It’s the perfect recipe for an al fresco summertime breakfast or brunch!
What's an Avocado Bagel?
An avocado bagel is essentially avocado toast but on a bagel!
It's usually is made by toasting a bagel and adding fresh avocado with a variety of toppings.
This verison is inspired by the famous open faced avocado bagel at Gjusta in Los Angeles.
In addition to the avocado, it's also got cream cheese, cucumber, pink pickled onions, roasted cherry tomatoes, sprouts and fresh dill with lemon juice and flaky salt.
You can totally get creative with your toppings but this is my favorite variety.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Everything Bagel - I recommend Everything Bagels because they're my favorite but you could totally use whatever kind of bagel or bread you'd like! Bagels are recommended because they're thick enough to hold all of these toppings.
- Cream Cheese - You could skip the cream cheese or use veggie/tofu cream cheese if you'd like.
- Avocado - Fresh avocado is best. You could also use store bought guacamole if you had some.
- Cucumber - I like English cucumber because it's the most delicate but you could use whatever variety you like.
- Pink Pickled Onions - I always keep my pink pickled onions on hand but you could use regular sliced onions if you didn't feel like pickling any.
- Roasted Cherry Tomatoes - Same goes for these roasted cherry tomatoes. If you don't feel like roasting them, you could use regular sliced heirloom tomatoes or some other tasty variety.
- Sprouts - These are totally optional and you can use any type of sprout you like. Don't have them? No biggie, just leave them off.
- Fresh Dill - Fresh dill is best but you could use any soft fresh herbs you like such as cilantro, basil, or even mint
- Fancy Olive oil - If you don't have fancy olive oil, just use a little regular olive oil
- Flaky Salt - I always recommend finishing a dish with Maldon Flaky salt. But you could swap out the flaky salt for regular salt but it won't have the same delicious texture.
- Lemon Juice - you could def use lime juice if you don't have lemon.
How to make it
Making this avocado bagel is all about the prep work. You'll first need to pickle your red onions and roast your cherry tomatoes.
You can get the pink pickled onions recipe here on my site.
As for the cherry tomatoes, you can get the full instructions on the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
But essentially you'll want to preheat oven to 400F degrees.
Then toss the halved tomatoes with olive oil and salt and place in a small baking dish. Make sure to arrange the tomatoes so that the cut side is facing up.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the tomatoes are starting to brown and shrink.
Then remove from heat and place in the fridge until you’re ready to use.
When those components are ready, it's time to split your favorite kind of bagel down the middle and toast it.
Smear 2 tbsp of cream cheese onto each half and then top each half with the avocado and sprinkle it with salt and lemon juice.
Now it's time for the other toppings to go on.
Equally add the remaining ingredients.
I recommend cucumber, pink pickled onions, roasted cherry tomatoes, sprouts and dill to each half and top with a drizzle of your favorite fancy olive oil and another sprinkle of flaky salt.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
What goes with Avocado Bagels?
If you're making this for a big brunch spread, I recommend serving them with a beautiful fresh fig tart, some air fryer breakfast potatoes, or this cheesy asparagus puff pastry.
If you want more famous restaurant inspired breakfasts, try this Eggslut Fairfax recipe or this Dishoom Breakfast Bacon Naan Sandwich.
Save this recipe for later
Want to save this open faced avocado bagel sandwich recipe for another time? I got you!
You can pin any image on this page or use the pretty ones I made below specifically for your Fall pinterest boards.
And if you don't already, feel free to follow me on pinterest, instagram, youtube, facebook, and tiktok for tasty inspiration shared daily!
And if pinterest isn't really your thing, you can always scroll down to the bottom of this post and print the printable recipe card.
Avocado Bagel - Gjusta Inspired
For the Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
For the Avocado Bagel
- 1 everything bagel
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 large avocado thinly sliced
- 1 squirt lemon juice
- 10-12 slices cucumber
- 2 tbsp pink pickled onions
- roasted cherry tomatoes
- 4 tbsp sprouts
- 1 tsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- flaky salt
For the Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Toss tomatoes with olive oil and salt and place in a small baking dish - arranging tomatoes so that the cut side is facing up.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the tomatoes are starting to brown and shrink. Remove from heat and place in the fridge until you’re ready to use.
For the Avocado Bagel
- Split bagel down the middle and toast it.
- Smear 2 tbsp of cream cheese onto each half and then top each half with the avocado and sprinkle it with salt and lemon juice.
- Equally distribute the remaining cucumber, pink pickled onions, roasted cherry tomatoes, sprouts and dill to each half and finish with a drizzle of your favorite fancy olive oil and another sprinkle of flaky salt.