These pink pickled onions are so easy to make! All you need is a red onion, white sugar, red wine vinegar, salt and water! They're ready in 15-20 minutes and they last a few weeks. Add them on tacos, sandwiches, salads, and more!
What you need to make them
(scroll down to see the exact recipe and printable recipe card)
- Red Wine Vinegar - Red wine vinegar is my favorite vinegar to use for these pickles. But you could also use Apple Cider Vinegar or Rice Wine Vinegar.
- Water - regular ole' tap water will do just fine!
- Sugar - I use white granulated sugar but if you only had sugar in in the raw or cane sugar, that could work, too!
- Salt - kosher salt is always best for these!
- Red Onion - Red Onions will lead to the pink hued onions you see here.... But you could also use Vidalia onions or shallots if you were in a pinch!
How to make them
To make these pink pickled onions, you'll first need to grab a nonreactive soup pot. Any stainless steal pot should work!
Next, pour the red wine vinegar, water, sugar and salt to the pot and turn the heat to high.
Once it begins to boil and once all the sugar is dissolved, add the sliced onions.
Turn the heat off and let cool in a glass container.
After 20 minutes, they should be perfectly pickled and tender!
You can store these in an air tight container in the fridge for at least 3 weeks!
The one I'm using is from pampered chef and I love it! It's so convenient because it's a measuring cup too and has a lid that snaps on!
What to pair them with
These tasty pink pickled onions go with so many tasty dishes! I recommend throwing them on sandwiches, salads, tacos and more!
The Easiest Pink Pickled Onions
- Add vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a nonreactive pot. Bring to a rolling boil and add the onions. Stir and turn off the heat.
- Pour in a glass container to cool.
- After 15-20 minutes, they’ll be perfectly tender and pickled.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.