These Thai inspired Canned Tuna Lettuce Wraps will be going on repeat in our house ALL SUMMER LONG! To keep it simple, I whipped up an easy peanut sauce vinaigrette and added some fresh chopped veggies and herbs to some high quality canned tuna. It’s such an easy recipe that you will LOVE!
Although this blog post isn’t sponsored, this recipe was shared from a sponsored instagram post!
Ingredients & Substitutions
(scroll to the bottom for exact measurements & a printable recipe card)
for the peanut vinaigrette
- Soy Sauce – Tamari or Coconut aminos could work in place of soy sauce.
- Sweet Chili Sauce – If you don’t have sweet chili sauce, you could use a tbsp of sambal and maybe 2 tbsp of agave? I haven’t tested this but this is what I would do if I was in a pinch!
- Sesame Oil – No real substitution for sesame oil but you could omit it if you had to. It’ll still be delish without it!
- Peanut Butter – Peanut butter is the main ingredient in peanut sauce (obviously lol) but you could use almond butter or sunflower seed butter if you have a peanut allergy!
- Rice Wine Vinegar – If you don’t have rice wine vinegar, you could use red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar with a few pinches of sugar.
- Garlic – Fresh is best but you could use the minced variety or garlic powder if you had to.
- Lime Juice – Fresh is best but you could most definitely use the bottled lime juice, too.
for the tuna salad
- Blue Harbor Albacore Tuna – You could use another brand but this is my favorite for this recipe.
- Red Bell Pepper – if you didn’t have a red bell pepper, you could sub it out for another color or even some tomato if you don’t like bell peppers.
- Cucumber – This is another one you could leave out if you didn’t like it. When it comes to substitutions, you could try finely diced apple.
- Carrots – You could also leave out the carrots or swap it out for celery or something crunchy.
- Scallion – You could leave this out or swap it out for diced red onion
- Cilantro – A lot of people hate cilantro because they think it tastes like soap. If that’s the case for you, leave it out! Nothing really to sub but you could try Thai Basil which would be delicious!
- Butter Lettuce – If you can’t find butter lettuce, you can use romaine, little gem, or iceberg!
- Avocado – since this is just the topping, you could leave it off – no biggie!
- Pink Pickled Onions – I’m obsessed with these pink pickled onions and the perfect pop of tangy sweetness they provide!
How to make Thai Inspired (Canned) Tuna Lettuce Wraps
Making these Thai inspired canned tuna lettuce wraps is so quick and easy – which makes it the perfect lunch!
First, let’s start by making the peanut vinaigrette.
Whisk together soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, sesame oil, peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, garlic, lime juice.
Once it’s emulsified, set it aside.
Now assemble the Thai inspired canned tuna salad.
Add the tuna to a large bowl and gently break it apart with a spoon.
Then add the diced red pepper, cucumber, carrots, scallion, cilantro and the peanut vinaigrette and toss everything together until everything is coated.
Now make your lettuce wraps by adding a 1-2 tbsp scoop of the tuna salad each piece of lettuce and top with a few avocado slices, some pickled red onions and however much sriracha you’d like.
What to pair it with
Save this recipe for later
Want to save this canned tuna lettuce wrap recipe for a later time! Go for it!
I created these pretty Pinterest images below for your Pinterest pages. But you could also just hover over any image, click pin, and save the recipe!
And if you’d like more daily tasty inspiration, please join the other 14,000 people and follow me on Pinterest!
Recipe – Thai Inspired (Canned) Tuna Lettuce Wraps:
Thai Inspired Tuna Lettuce Wraps using Canned Tuna
for the peanut vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Garlic minced
- 1/2 Lime juiced
for the tuna salad
- 1 4.6 oz cans Blue Harbor Albacore Tuna
- 1/4 cup red pepper diced
- 1/4 cup cucumber diced
- 1/4 cup carrots shredded
- 1 tbsp scallion packed
- 1 tbsp cilantro packed
- 1 small head butter lettuce washed and dried
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions
- First, make the peanut vinaigrette. Whisk together soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, sesame oil, peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, garlic, lime juice. Once it’s emulsified, set it aside.
- Now assemble the salad. Add the tuna to a large bowl and gently break it apart with a spoon. Then add the red pepper, cucumber, carrots, scallion, cilantro and the peanut vinaigrette and toss everything together until everything is coated.
- Add a 1-2 tbsp scoop of the tuna salad each lettuce wrap and top with a few avocado slices, some pickled red onions and however much sriracha you’d like.