This crispy oven fried parmesan crusted chicken is ridiculously delicious! Crispy panko, cheesy parmesan and moist buttermilk brined chicken come together perfectly in this non-fried fried-chicken recipe! Trust me when I say that you'll keep this easy chicken recipe on constant rotation after trying it!
(scroll to the bottom for the exact recipe and printable card)
- chicken breast
- hot sauce -- I recommend Frank's Red Hot
- Kosher salt
- seasoned panko
- olive oil
Making this oven fried chicken is super easy! To be honest, I almost lost my mind when I finally perfected it because it was so simple!
To begin, start by mixing the buttermilk, hot sauce and salt together in a bowl.
Then add your sliced chicken breasts and let them marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Once you're ready to cook, be sure to set your chicken out to loose its chill. I recommend about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, it's time to preheat oven to 425F degrees.
Now combine the seasoned panko and the grated parmesan in a mixing bowl. If your panko isn't seasoned, you can add some salt and whatever other spices you'd like.
When the oven is hot, remove each piece of chicken from brine and gently shake off to remove extra marinade.
Place one piece of chicken at a time in the panko parmesan mix and coat it evenly. I like to press the panko into the chicken to make sure that it's really on there!
Now place each piece of coated chicken onto a cooling rack that’s on top of a baking sheet. Be sure that the pieces don’t crowd each other.
Right before baking, drizzle each piece of chicken with a tiny bit of olive oil then place in the center rack of the oven.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165F degrees.
- One of the biggest tips is to use a cooling rack on top of your baking sheet. This approach will help the chicken cook evenly on each side! Plus, you won't have to worry about flipping in it.
- If you don't have a nonstick cooling rack, you can buy one on amazon for like $15 or you could simply flip the chicken after 15 minutes... however it won't be as crispy.
- Be sure to let the chicken loose it's chill before baking. For some reason, this process not only yields a crispier piece of chicken but it also makes it super tender.
- If you don't have it, you can make buttermilk by combining hole milk with a splash of vinegar. This also applies for half n half or heavy creamy. It's a quick and easy substitute that works!
- You can also try making this oven fried chicken in the air fryer but only do two pieces at a time so they don't steam the crispiness out of them!
What to pair it with
This oven fried chicken recipe is super versatile which is another reason to love it!
Not only does it go perfectly with an Italian feast but it also works well for Southern food, too!
For a big Southern dinner, you could pair it with some hot honey and a big buttermilk biscuit like I did over on instagram, or you could make some delicious white cheddar mashed potatoes, some instant pot black eyed peas, or even some cheesy green bean casserole.
Save the recipe for later
I friggin' love when you save my recipes on Pinterest! So thank you for that!
If you'd like to use any of these pretty images below, go for it!
And if you don't already, feel free to follow me for more cheesy goodness!
Oven Fried Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- 1.5-2 lbs chicken breast sliced in half
- 1.5-2 cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups seasoned panko
- ⅓ cup parmesan
- olive oil for drizzling
- Mix buttermilk, hot sauce and salt together in a bowl. Add sliced chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Before cooking, set your chicken out to loose its chill - about 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Combine seasoned panko and parmesan in a small bowl.
- Remove chicken from brine and gently shake off to remove extra marinade.
- Coat each piece of chicken in the panko parmesan mix and place on top of a cooling rack that’s on top of a baking sheet. Be sure that the pieces don’t crowd each other.
- Drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil on top and then place in the center rack of the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and 165F degrees internally!