First Watch’s Elevated Egg Sandwich is one of my favorite breakfast sandwiches of all time. It’s so easy to make and especially tasty if you add candied bacon (or a side of their million dollar bacon!) instead of regular bacon.
What is First Watch Elevated Egg Sandwich
First Watch's Elevated Egg Sandwich is a breakfast sandwich is made with an over-easy egg, bacon, Gruyere cheese, fresh smashed avocado, mayo, and lemon-dressed arugula on a brioche bun.
First Watch is known for their incredible breakfast dishes and this is one of my favorite ways to start the day.
The sandwich is a good choice for those who are looking for a filling and satisfying breakfast.
It can easily be made vegetarian by skipping the bacon and or swapping it for a vegan option like impossible sausage. .
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Salted Butter - Margarine also works.
- Large Egg - No sub for egg! But the sandwich would still be delicious without it.
- Gruyere - If you can't find gruyere, try grand cru, swiss or even comte.
- Brioche Bun - Brioche is the ideal bun for this sandwich but you could technically use any bun you prefer.
- Mayo - Mayo could be swapped for dijonaise or another delicious sauce of your choice.
- Bacon - Any breakfast meat would work just fine.
- Arugula - If you dont like arugula, try fresh spinach or mixed greens.
- Lemon - This is just to wake up the greens. If you don't have lemon, you could use a splash of vinegar or your favorite bright and zingy salad dressing.
- Avocado - If you don't like avocado, leave it off. No real sub for it.
How to make it
Making First Watch's famous elevated egg sandwich definitely isn't as easy as ordering it on the menu... but it's pretty close!
First ,you'll want to melt 1 tablespoon of salty butter in a fry pan over medium heat and toast the brioche bun until golden brown.
Add another tablespoon of salty butter then crack the egg and cook over medium.
Once flipped, add the cheese.
Put the lid on until the cheese has melted and the egg is cooked to your liking.
Remove from heat and set aside.
Next, it's time to assemble the sandwich.
First, you'll want to add mayo to the bottom half of the bun.
Then add your bacon, the cheesy cooked egg, the arugula with a squeeze of lemon on top.
Mash the avocado onto the top slice of bread then sprinkle with flaky salt.
Close the sandwich up and enjoy.
What goes with First Watch Elevated Egg Sandwich
This sandwich pairs perfect with my Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes.
Frequently asked questions
Can I make substitutions on the Elevated Egg Sandwich?
As always, my answer is YES! My personal hack is adding candied bacon to it. You can substitute different types of meat, cheese, or vegetables. You can also ask for the sandwich to be made without any of the ingredients that you do not like.
How long can you keep an egg sandwich in the refrigerator?
Although this won't last long because it's so delicious, you can store leftover breakfast sandwiches in the fridge for up to 3 days, or wrapped in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to re-warm heat in the microwave on the defrost setting for 3-5 minutes if frozen, or 30-60 seconds if out of of the fridge.
How do you make sandwiches ahead and keep them fresh?
To be honest, I do not recommend making these ahead of time. The arugula and bread will get soggy and the egg will be mushy.
First Watch’s Elevated Egg Sandwich
- Melt 1 tablespoon of salty butter in a fry pan over medium heat and toast the brioche bun until golden brown.
- Add another tablespoon of salty butter then crack the egg and cook over medium. Once flipped, add the cheese and put the lid on until the cheese has melted and the egg is cooked to your liking. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Next, add mayo to the bottom half of the toasted bun then add your bacon, the cheesy cooked egg, the arugula with a squeeze of lemon on top.
- Mash the avocado onto the top slice of bread then sprinkle with flaky salt. Close the sandwich up and enjoy.