This hot honey butter skillet corn is one of my favorite quick and easy spring time side dishes! You can make it with canned corn, frozen corn or even fresh corn. And best of all, you probably already have the other ingredients in your pantry.
What is honey butter skillet corn?
Honey butter skillet corn is a quick and easy side dish made with corn, butter, cream cheese, honey and salt.
Traditionally, this recipe is made with frozen corn but I never have that on hand.
But I always have canned corn so that's how we make it on my blog.
I also like to add a little hot sauce to this mixture which gives it the perfect zip. It's so dang good!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Corn - You can use drained canned corn, frozen corn or fresh corn!
- Salted Butter - If you don't have salted butter, you can use unsalted and add an extra hefty pinch of salt. Margarine also works fine but I recommend the real stuff if you've got it.
- Cream Cheese - Cream cheese is best but you could also try it with goat cheese or mascarpone.
- Honey - I guess you could try maple syrup or agave but honey definitely works best.
- Hot Sauce - This ingredient is totally optional but I recommend using Frank's Hot Sauce if you have it. It's the perfect tangy spicy sauce that works perfectly in this recipe.
How to make hot honey butter skillet corn
Making this hot honey butter skillet corn is super easy and takes less than 5 minutes!
First grab a cast iron skillet or another type of skillet. For reference, I'm using a Great Jones King Sear Cast Iron and I'm obsessed with it!
Next, turn the heat to medium high and then add your butter. Swirl it around so it begins to melt.
Once melted, add your corn and a pinch of salt and cook down for a few minutes until the corn is hot and buttery.
Then add your cubed cream cheese (this will help it melt faster), the honey and the hot sauce if you want a bit of spice.
Give it a stir and cook for another minute or until everything is incorporated and the corn is swimming in a creamy sauce.
Can I make it with frozen or fresh corn?
You can absolutely make honey butter skillet corn with frozen, canned or fresh corn.
If you're using fresh corn, you'll just want to cook it in the butter for a few minutes longer to soften the corn.
If you're using frozen, then it goes right in the skillet with the butter. No need to thaw!
And if you're using canned corn, just be sure to strain it before you add it to the skillet.
What to pair it with
You could also pair it with some spring inspired side dishes like this easy fig tart with honey whipped goat cheese, this gorgeous asparagus tart with gruyere, or this roasted broccoli and feta frittata.
Save this recipe for later
Want to save this hot honey butter skillet corn recipe for another time? I got you!
You can pin any image on this page or use the pretty ones I made below specifically for your Fall pinterest boards.
And if pinterest isn't really your thing, you can always scroll down to the bottom of this post and print the printable recipe card.
Hot Honey Butter Skillet Corn
- Heat a skillet over medium high and add the butter. Once melted add the corn and a sprinkle of salt and cook down for 1 minute.
- Next add the cream cheese, honey, and hot sauce (if desired) and stir until thick and creamy.
- Season with more and and pepper if needed and serve immediately.