Once you make this quick cook risotto cacio e pepe, you will be hooked! It's rich, creamy, and totally delicious. Best of all, it is ready in under 20 minutes using one of my favorite new Delallo products - their quick cook cheese risotto!
This post is sponsored by Delallo but the recipe and opinions are all mine!
What is Cacio e Pepe?
Cacio e pepe is a traditional Roman pasta dish that's full of yummy Italian cheeses and lots of fresh pepper.
The name literally translates to cheese and pepper -- which is exactly what it tastes like!
Traditionally, the cheesy pepper sauce is made with pecorino romano or grana padano.
But my spin combines parmigiano, pecorino and cream cheese to make it even more creamy and delicious!
And although it's not typically made with risotto, it should because this dish is ridiculously delicious!!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Delallo Olive Oil - I love this olive oil because it's made from the first cold press of hand-selected Italian olives. It embodies generations of olive growing and olive oil making expertise. This versatile and balanced oil is the perfect heart-healthy fat for everyday use!
- Shallot - If you don't have shallots, you could definitely use 2 tablespoon of finely diced sweet onion or even 4 cloves of finely diced garlic.
- Fresh Grated Pepper - black pepper works just fine if you don't have a pepper mill.
- Delallo Quick Cook Cheese Risotto - This is one of my new favorite Delallo products. It gives you the authentic delicious mouthfeel of regular risotto but in about ¼ of the time! It's so convenient, absolutely delicious, and perfect for a busy mom like me!
- Salted Butter - If you don't have salted butter, you could use unsalted with a hefty pinch of kosher salt.
- Cream Cheese - Mascarpone could work, too!
- Parmigiano - Real Parmigiano is where it's at! But you could also use American Parmesan if that's what you have on hand!
- Pecorino - Pecorino is made from sheep's milk cheese and has a grassy and earthy flavor than nutty parmesan.
How to make Shortcut Cacio e Pepe Risotto
Making this shortcut cacio e pepe is beyond easy!
To begin, grab a pan with a lid.
Then heat your stovetop burner over medium heat.
Add some Delallo olive oil, some finely diced shallots, and tons of fresh cracked black pepper to the pan.
Let the shallots cook and soften for about 2-3 minutes then add the box of Delallo Quick Cook Cheese Risotto.
I love this product. It makes cooking risotto totally quick and painless. And even without my upgrade on the boxed recipe, the standard way to cook it is amazing, too!
Once the risotto is in the pan, toast it for 1 minute.
Now add 2 cups of water and turn the heat to low. Once it's simmering, put the lid on the pot and cook for 15 minutes - stirring every 5 minutes or so.
Once the risotto is fully cooked and the water is all absorbed, stir in butter, cream cheese, grated parmigiano, and pecorino.
At this point, you'll want to season with more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
Once plated, drizzle with some more Delallo olive oil and another crack of fresh pepper with a sprinkle more of cheese.
And that's it -- so easy and so delicious!
What to pair it with
Save this recipe for later
Want to save this shortcut Cacio e Pepe Risotto recipe for another time? I got you!
You can pin any image on this page or use the pretty ones I made below specifically for your Fall pinterest boards.
And if pinterest isn't really your thing, you can always scroll down to the bottom of this post and print the printable recipe card.
Cacio e Pepe Risotto
- 1 tablespoon Delallo olive oil plus more for finishing
- 1 large shallot finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated black pepper
- 1 6.2 oz box Delallo Quick Cook Cheese Risotto
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese
- ¼ cup parmigiano finely grated
- ¼ cup pecorino finely grated
- Over medium heat, add olive oil, shallots, and fresh cracked black pepper to a shallow pan. Let the shallots cook and soften for 2-3 minutes then add the packets from the Delallo Quick Cook Cheese Risotto Box.
- Toast the contents for 1 minute, then add 2 cups water, turn the heat to low. Once simmering, put the lid on and cook for 15 minutes - stirring every 5 minutes.
- Once the risotto is cooked, stir in butter, cream cheese, grated parmigiano, and pecorino.
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
- Once plated, drizzle with more Delallo olive oil and another crack of fresh pepper.