This cream cheese bisquick sausage ball recipe is so addictive and easy to make! Spicy sausage, tangy cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, bisquick mix and fresh scallions are mixed together and then baked until golden brown. They’re the perfect retro appetizer that everyone will love!
What are Cream Cheese Sausage Balls?
These cream cheese bisquick sausage balls are the perfect comforting retro appetizers.
To be honest, they're the only reason I even own bisquick! lol. (But also, if you don't have bisquick, there are a ton of google-able recipes to teach you how to make a homemade version!)
This retro appetizer is beyond easy to make and is super addictive!
Trust me when I say eating just one is totally impossible! And when you try the dipping sauce -- GOOD LORD! You'll be day dreaming of all the delicious things you can dip into it.
And if you don't want to make your own sauce, try using ranch dressing! It's also absolutely delicious!
But you came to my page for a reason, so let's get to it!
Ingredients & Substitutions
for the bisquick sausage ball recipe
- Spicy Pork Sausage - Any flavor of ground sausage will work just fine.
- Cream Cheese - There are no real substitutions for cream cheese. Y
- Shredded Cheddar - If you don't like sharp cheddar cheese, try pepper jack cheese for more of a bite! Honestly, any type of semi-hard melting cheese will work!
- Bisquick - If you don't have bisquick, you can def make your own - just google it!
- Scallions - These are optional so you can leave them out or just use chives. You could also add garlic powder if you want to.
for the dipping sauce
- Mayo - You could also use whipped cream cheese or greek yogurt.
- Sweet Chili Sauce - If you don't have sweet chili, you could use sriracha and a bit of honey or even pepper jelly.
How to make them
Making these cream cheese sausage balls is super easy!
The first thing you'll want to do is to preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
I recommend that all the ingredients are room temp before you mix them together. I've done it both ways and the difference is minimal... It will make mixing them a little easier!
Once you've got all your ingredients ready, place the sausage, cream cheese, cheddar, bisquick and scallions in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Beat the mixture at a low speed for 1 minute then turn the speed up and beat for another 1-2 minutes until all ingredients are combined and the mixture is pretty smooth.
If you don't have a stand mixer, you can do all of this by hand!
Once it's mixed, scoop out 1 inch inch balls and roll them around in your hand to smooth them out.
Place the uncooked sausage balls on a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway, until the sausage is cooked through.
As they're baking, simply mix together sweet chili sauce and mayo and place in the fridge until you're ready.
Once they're done, remove from the oven, serve with the dipping sauce and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you moisten dry sausage balls?
If they're dry, you can add a little milk to moisten them. They can dry out from too much biscuit mix so be aware and use the correct measurements.
Why are my sausage balls crumbly?
They're probably crumbly because you don't have the correct ratio of sausage to baking mix (aka bisquick). You can add a little bit of milk or even a little more cream cheese to help them bind together.
Do Sausage Cheese Balls need to be refrigerated?
If you're making them and serving them right away or a few hours in advanced, you do not need to refrigerate them. However If you are making them more than 4 hours before serving them, I do recommend keep them in the fridge and giving them 30 minutes to come to room temp before serving.
Tips for rolling perfect sausage balls
A lot of cream cheese sausage ball recipes recommend an ice cream scoop or something similar to create uniform sized balls. To be honest, I don't think you need anything but your two hands!
All you need to do is grab a tiny bit of sausage (think a tiny golfball) from the mixture bowl, roll them around in your hands until smooth and circular and then place them on the baking sheet -- about an inch from the other one.
If you don't want to get the raw meat on your hands, you could always wear some gloves which will make cleanup even easier!
How to freeze and bake for later
This cream cheese sausage roll recipe is the perfect party food to feed a crowd! So it's always a good idea to have some on-hand in your freezer!
To do this, simply follow the recipe below and place the sausage balls on a baking sheet. Put the entire baking sheet in the freezer. If you can't fit a baking sheet, no worries -- just make sure to space them out before freezing them so that they're not touching and sticking together when you reheat them.
Once they're frozen, place them all in a freezer bags and keep in the freezer until you're ready to use.
When you're ready to make them, simply bake at 375 for about 25-30 minutes or until heated and cooked through.
Other cheeses and flavor combos to try
I love using recipes as a base to create even more tasty and creative dishes! And this recipe is perfect for that!
If you'd like to switch it up, try some of these tasty flavor combos:
- Sage Sausage, Gruyere (or Grand Cru), and Rosemary
- Italian Sausage, Mozzarella, and Chopped Basil
- Country Mild Sausage, White Cheddar, and Bacon
- Maple Sausage, Sharp Cheddar, and Thyme
What is a good side with sausage balls?
Here are the 10 best side dishes to pair with sausage cheese balls.
- Hot honey butter skillet corn
- Dirty Martini Pasta Salad
- Sun Dried Tomato Orzo
- Grinder Salad
- Cauliflower Piccata
- Tiktok Cornbread
- Kale Apple Slaw
- 1905 Salad
- Rustic Tortellini Soup
- Honey Sriracha Brussels Sprouts
Save this recipe for later
I've created these pretty pinterest images so you can save this recipe for a later time!
And if you don''t already, I'd love for you to join the 13,000 people that follow me on pinterest. I share super tasty and easy recipe inspiration every day.
Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
for the sausage balls
- 1 lb ground spicy pork sausage
- 1 8 oz block room temp cream cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded (or pepper jack)
- 1 ¼ cup bisquick
- 2 stalks scallions finely chopped **optional**
- ½ tsp garlic powder **optional**
for the sausage balls
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
- Place the sausage, cream cheese, cheddar, bisquick and scallions in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Beat the mixture at a low speed for 1 minute (or use your hands to mash it together!) then turn the speed up and beat for another 1-2 minutes until all ingredients are combined and the mixture is pretty smooth.
- Scoop out 1 inch balls and roll around in your hand to smooth them out. Place the uncooked sausage balls on a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, turning the tray halfway, until the sausage is cooked through.
for the dipping sauce
- Stir the sweet chili sauce and mayo together until combined. Serve for dipping.
- You could also use havarti, pepperjack, fontina or any other semi-firm cheese!
- For the most symmetric sausage balls, roll the balls around in your hand!
- If you'd like to freeze this recipe for later, scroll up to read my reheating directions!