The recipe for this Honey Grilled Cheese with Crispy Chili Oil has over 10 million views on instagram! It’s made with gouda cheese so it’s the perfect balance of sweet, spicy, and savory.
What is a Honey Grilled Cheese with Crispy Chili Oil?
This delicious sandwich is a variation of the classic grilled cheese sandwich with with sweet and spicy undertones.
My recipe uses a combination of classic and unique ingredients to create a flavorful profile that's rich and unique. As for ingredients, it's made with gouda, chili oil, and honey on buttery sourdough bread.
The chili oil is a key ingredient that adds a spicy kick and a crispy texture to the sandwich.
The honey serves as a contrasting sweet element to balance out the spiciness of the chili oil.
The Gouda cheese is a creamy and slightly sweet Dutch cheese that melts beautifully when heated. It's known for its smooth texture and mild, nutty flavor.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Sourdough Bread - Any bread will work just fine - just make sure to adjust cheese ratios according to the size of the bread.
- Salty Butter - Regular unsalted butter works just fine as long as you add a pinch of salt.
- Gouda - I love Roth's gouda but you could also try white cheddar, asiago, or brie.
- Crispy Chili Oil - If you don't have crispy chili oil, you could add a drizzle of sriracha for heat.
- Honey - Honey is the star of this grilled cheese so I don't really recommend swapping it for anything.
How to make it
Making a honey grilled cheese is super easy! However, there are a few tips that are vital to making it correctly.
First, we'll build the grilled cheese.
Place the shredded Roth gouda on one slice of bread and drizzle with crispy chili oil (more or less depending on your spice level!).
Now place the other piece of bread on top.
Add half the butter to a fry pan over medium heat.
Once melted, add the sandwich on top and more around to absorb the melted butter. Smear the remaining butter on the top part of the sandwich.
Cook the sandwich for a few minutes on each side, until the bread is crispy and golden brown and the cheese has completely melted.
Remove from heat and place on a cutting board.
Here's the most important part - carefully (and I mean carefully!!) open the sandwich up and drizzle it with honey.
We do this after it cooks so the honey doesn't spill out and burn.
Now close sandwich up and slice in half before serving.
What goes with Honey Grilled Cheese with Crispy Chili Oil
Frequently asked questions
What can I use for a chili oil substitution?
If you don't have crispy chili oil, you can either make it yourself or simply use some sriracha.
Is Gouda cheese good for grilled cheese sandwiches?
Gouda is a amazing cheese for grilled cheese because it melts beautifully and has a ton of flavor. It is good if you are looking for a cheesy, slightly sweet flavor without the strong taste of some other cheeses.
Why won't my grilled cheese get crispy?
There are a few reasons why your grilled cheese sandwiches might be soggy. One possibility is that you're using margarine instead of real butter. Since this is mostly water, it doesn't crisp the bread as well as butter. Or it could be that you're not using enough butter or oil when cooking them. This can cause the bread to absorb too much moisture from the fillings, making it soggy.
Save this recipe for later
Want to save this Honey Grilled Cheese with Crispy Chili Oil recipe for another time? I got you!
You can pin any image on this page or use the pretty ones I made below specifically for your sandwich pinterest boards.
And if pinterest isn't really your thing, you can always scroll down to the bottom of this post and print the printable recipe card.
Honey Grilled Cheese with Crispy Chili Oil
- Place the shredded Roth gouda on one slice of bread and drizzle with crispy chili oil (more or less depending on your spice level!). Place the other piece of bread on top.
- Add half the butter to a fry pan over medium heat. Once melted, add the sandwich on top and more around to absorb the melted butter. Smear the remaining butter on the top part of the sandwich.
- Cook the sandwich for a few minutes on each side, until the bread is crispy and golden brown and the cheese has completely melted.
- Remove from heat and place on a cutting board. Carefully open the sandwich up and drizzle with honey. Close sandwich and slice in half before serving.