This post is sponsored by National Mango Board.
These mango kimchi hot dogs are packed full of summertime flavors! The sweetness from the mango pairs perfectly with the spicy acidity from the kimchi. And, the hot dog provides the perfect salty balance! It's the ultimate, colorful summer grilling recipe!
With summer here, it's time to fire up the grills!
One of my favorite seasonal foods are boujie hot dogs -- and this recipe is perfection!
All you need are some high-quality hot dogs, buns, some fresh mangos, your favorite kimchi and some cilantro. I also like to add a little hoisin sauce (or teriyaki sauce) and a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds for garnish.
Not only do the hot dogs taste (and look!) amazing but the mango adds important nutrients and the kimchi offers gut-friendly goodness.
It's such a great way to dress up this iconic American dish!
Let's get to it, shall we?!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Fresh Mangos: There is no substitution for fresh mango! This superfruit is flavorful and nutritious.
- Kimchi: There are a ton of different varieties of kimchi - use whatever one your heart desires!
- Cilantro: If you don't like cilantro, you could totally leave it out... or try to swap it with Thai Basil.
- Hoisin Sauce: if you can't find hoisin sauce or need a sub for it, try teriyaki sauce!
- Hot Dogs: You can use any kind of hot dog you see fit - pork, beef, chicken or even plant-based!
- Hot Dog Buns: No real sub here, but you could use any bread alternative if you don't eat gluten!
- Sesame Seeds: Totally optional but they add the perfect finishing touch!
How to make these Mango Kimchi Hot Dogs
The first thing you'll want to do is fire up your grill. If you don't have a grill, you could totally brown them in a cast iron pan.
While the grill is heating up, prep your mangos. If you don't know how to cut a mango, check out the next section.
Once the grill is hot, add your hot dogs over high heat until they're slightly charred on the outside and hot in the middle.
While they're cooking, mix together chopped mango, kimchi and cilantro and set aside.
Once the hot dogs are cooked, remove them from the heat and lightly toast the buns on the grill. This will help them stay together once all the toppings are on there!
Now it's time to assemble the hot dogs!
Add the cooked dogs to the buns then top each one with a drizzle of hoisin sauce.
Add the mango kimchi mixture on top and finish with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.
How to Cut a Mango
Cutting a mango may seem intimidating but it's super easy once you get the method down!
First, hold the mango upright and use a paring knife to cut down about ½ inch from the middle seed (or pit).
It's best to do this along the longer sides to avoid the seed.
Once the "cheeks" are off, gently take a knife and score the meat of the skin of the fruit in perpendicular lines.
Flip the cheeks inside out and then use a knife to cut the fruit off into small pieces.
How to Pick the Perfect Mango
When it comes to picking the perfect mango, I've got a few helpful tricks and tips!
- You may think that color has to do with a mango's ripeness but surprisingly, it doesn't!
- Instead, pick up the mango and give it a squeeze. A perfectly ripe mango gives in a bit when pressed. They should be slightly soft but not mushy. Firm but not hard!
- Once ripe, mangos will continue to ripen at room temperature, becoming sweeter and softer over several days.
- If you don't plan to use them when they're perfectly ripe, mangos should be moved to the refrigerator, which will slow down the ripening process. They can last up to 5 days this way!
- However, if you'd like them to get riper faster, place them in a paper bag and fold over the sides.
- For meal prep purposes, I recommend cutting, peeling or cubing ripe mango and storing them in an airtight container in the fridge for several days... or up to 6 months in the freezer. Personally, I find that I make healthier choices for snacks if I have fresh mangos cut up like this!
What Makes Mango So Good?
Mangos are my favorite fruit for more than one reason!
Not only do they taste delicious, but they come with multiple health benefits!
Here are some of my favorite mango health facts!
- Mangos are an excellent source of vitamin C. One serving gives you 50% of your daily value! This plays an important role in immune function and skin health.
- They are also a good source of folate, which provides you with 15% of your daily value! This is vital for a healthy immune system!
- One serving also gives you 8% daily value of vitamin A which helps maintain healthy skin and eye health!
- And one serving of mango gives you 8% of your daily value for vitamin B6 which plays a critical role in metabolism, supports immune function and brain health!
What to pair with these Mango Kimchi Hot Dogs
And if you love mangos just as much as I do, try to this delicious No Bake Sticky Mango Pie!
Save this recipe for later
If you want to save this recipe for another time, you can print the recipe card at the very bottom of this post.
Or you could click on one of these pretty images below and save it to Pinterest!
And don't forget to follow me if you want tasty inspiration shared daily!
RECIPE: Mango Kimchi Hot Dogs
Mango Kimchi Hot Dogs
- 6 hot dogs
- 2 large mangos roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup kimchi finely diced
- ¼ cup cilantro finely diced
- 6 buns
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce divided
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Grill hot dogs over high heat until slightly charred on the outside and hot in the middle.
- Meanwhile, mix together chopped mango, kimchi and cilantro and set aside.
- Once the hot dogs are done, remove them from the heat and lightly toast the buns on the grill.
- Add the hot dogs to the buns and add a drizzle of hoisin to each one then top with the mango kimchi slaw.
- Add a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds on top of each one and enjoy!