This one pot homemade hamburger helper is made with ground turkey and lots of cheese! It's just like the childhood classic but so much better! You'll love how it's creamy, cheesy, and meaty... and packed full of flavor! It's the perfect easy weeknight dinner recipe that's sure to please!
A few weeks ago, I made this recipe on my instagram stories and it was a hit!
So far, dozens of people have made it and loved it! But since I just made it on the fly, I didn't share a written recipe.
But after recipe testing a few times, I feel as if I finally perfected it!
If you'd like to make me watch it step by step, you can check out my instagram stories!
Ingredients - what you need
- chicken stock (or veggie stock or beef stock)
- ground turkey
- chipotle havarti (or pepperjack cheese)
- italian cheese blend (or parmesan)
- american cheese
- hot sauce
- yellow mustard
- macaroni noodles
- heavy cream
- scallions optional
How to make it
Making homemade hamburger helper with turkey is incredible easy! It's also a one-pot meal so the cleanup is a breeze, too!
To begin, pull out a large skillet. Add turkey to one side of the pan and then add the chopped onion and a sprinkle of salt to the other side. Let it brown for a minute then use a spatula to break it up. Once the turkey is starting to brown, add the chili powder and the garlic powder, stir, and toast for a minute.
Now add the garlic and cook for another two minutes until fragrant and starting to soften.Add the ketchup, the mustard, and the hot sauce and stir. Cook it down for another minute or so.Now it's time to add the pasta and the stock. Stir it around and then cover the pan.Once it's covered, turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Take the lid off and make sure the pasta is al dente. If it is, it's time to add the cheese. A shredded havarti, the italian cheese blend, and kraft singles and stir until everything is melted.Add a splash of heavy cream and stir one last time to finish.If you'd like, you can top with fresh scallions or green onion for a pop of freshness.
Can I make this with beef?
You can absolutely make this recipe with beef! You could even use pork, ground chicken or crumbled extra firm tofu.
The instructions will stay exactly the same so all you'll need to do is swap out the pound of turkey for a pound of whatever ground meat you'd like to use!
However, if you are using beef or lamb or another fatty meat, be sure to drain out some of the fat so it's not too greasy and watery!
How to reheat it
Reheating this easy homemade hamburger helper is easy.
If you're reheating one bowl, simply add the hamburger helper to a microwave safe bowl, add a tbsp of water or milk and cover. Put it in the microwave and cook for 1.5 minutes. Take it out and stir and cook for another 1 more until it's hot.
If you're reheating it in the oven, simply add about 1 tbsp of water for every two cups of the helper and cover with tinfoil. Heat for 10-15 minutes at 375 until it's heated through -- checking half way.
What to pair it with
Save it for later
If you'd like to make this dish another day, please feel free to save one of these images to your pinterest page!
And if you'd like more delicious dinner inspiration, please follow me on pinterest!
Cheesy Homemade Hamburger Helper with Turkey
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp hot sauce such as franks
- 2 cups macaroni noodles
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup italian cheese blend or parmesan
- 1 cup of chipotle havarti or pepperjack
- 5 slices american cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp scallions optional
- Add turkey to one side of a large skillet then add the chopped onion to the other. Sprinkle everything with salt. Turn the heat to medium medium-high and let it brown for a minute — using a spatula to break it up.
- Once the turkey is starting to brown, add the chili powder and the garlic powder and stir while toasting the spices for a minute.
- Now add the fresh garlic and stir. Cook for another two minutes until fragrant and starting to soften.
- Add the ketchup, the mustard, and the hot sauce and stir; cook it down for another minute.
- Add the pasta and the stock and stir. Turn the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once the pasta is al dente, stir in the cheese little by little until everything is melted.
- Add a splash of heavy cream and stir one last time to finish.
- If you'd like, you can top with fresh scallions or green onion for a pop of freshness.