This buffalo chicken grilled cheese is loaded with spicy goodness. Crispy chopped chicken fingers, spicy buffalo sauce, melty cheddar, punchy blue cheese and ranch dressing make this sandwich irresistible! It's the perfect sandwich in my opinion!
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
If you love speecy spicy crispy creamy things, then this buffalo chicken sandwich has your name written all over it!
Best of all, you don’t even have to be at a sports bar or pretend to like the Super Bowl to enjoy it.
Oh, and if you don’t feel like making your own Buffalo sauce, don’t sweat it—skip it and swap in the store-bought variety.
Want to serve it with a big ole bowl of blue cheese dressing? Do it! Ain’t no shame in the grilled cheese game!
And if you'd like grilled cheese, be sure to check out my new grilled cheese cookbook! I also have this awesome page for grilled cheese sides, too! If you're looking for a great cocktail to cool your mouth down, why not try this Mango Rum Punch!
How to make a Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
First thing you'll want to do is have your fried chicken ready.
Either buy some at the store or make it yourself using a recipe like this. Chop the chicken into small chunks and set aside. Place a few slices of sharp cheddar onto one slice of bread and then add the chopped chicken nugs.
Next, it's time for the buffalo sauce! You ca either make it by simmering together Frank's hot sauce, butter, vinegar, cayenne, garlic powder, celery salt and Worcestershire sauce in a medium-size pot. Or you could buy it!
However you make it, just drizzle on a little buffalo sauce followed by some buttermilk ranch dressing.
Now it's time for the other cheese! Crumble up some blue cheese and sprinkle it on top. If you don't like blue cheese, try swapping it out for something a little less stinky like a gorgonzola dolce.
After that, add a sprinkle of chives and some more of that sharp cheddar. Lastly, top it with the remaining slice of bread and butter the whole sandwich.
Place the sandwich in a panini press or in a medium sized cast iron skillet and turn the heat to medium. Let the sandwich cook on each side, flipping if necessary, until both pieces of bread are crispy and golden and all the cheese has melted.
Let the sandwich sit for a minute or two until the cheese can thicken back up and then cut it down the middle and do your happy dance. Either plate it with some fresh celery, carrots and dipping sauces or do as I did and devour it in one minute while standing over the kitchen sink so you don't get your shirt dirty. Either one.
And if you'd like to save this buffalo chicken grilled cheese for later, pin it below!
RECIPE: Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
For the Buffalo Sauce
For the Sandwich
- ½ cup fried chicken fingers chopped
- 1 tablespoon Buffalo sauce plus extra for dipping
- 3 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 slices French bread thick cut
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ teaspoon chives finely diced
- 2 pats salted butter
FOR THE SAUCE
- Combine Frank's hot sauce, butter, vinegar, cayenne, garlic powder, celery salt and Worcestershire sauce in a medium-size pot. Turn the heat to medium and let the mixture simmer for 10 to 20 minutes or until the sauce is smooth. Season with salt to taste and remove from heat when the desired consistency is reached. Reserve about 2 tablespoons for this recipe and store the remaining sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
FOR THE SANDWICH
- Toss the chopped chicken fingers with Buffalo sauce and set aside. Place half the cheddar on 1 slice of bread and add the Buffalo sauce–doused chicken. Drizzle ranch dressing on top and add blue cheese and chives. Add the rest of the cheddar and place the remaining piece of bread on top. Butter the exterior of the sandwich.
- Place the buttered sandwich in a medium-size cast-iron skillet or panini press and turn the heat to medium. Let the sandwich cook on each side, flipping if necessary, until the bread has crisped up and all the cheese has melted; about 5 to 7 minutes. Once the sandwich is done cooking, remove it from heat, let it sit for 1 minute, then slice. Serve immediately with an extra side of Buffalo sauce for dipping.