This Southern Cheesy Squash Casserole Bake is just what you need! Loaded with 3 cheeses and topped with a crispy buttery ritz cracker crust, it's absolutely heaven! It's creamy, dreamy and easy to make!Jump to Recipe
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Salty Butter - You can use unsalted butter - just be sure to add another pinch of salt!
- Sweet Onion - This is a Southern recipe so we're using sweet Vidalia onions! If you can't find them, yellow or white onions will work just fine!
- Yellow Squash - You could also substitute zucchini if you'd like.
- Fresh Sage - Fresh sage is best but you could leave it out if you don't like sage. Basil would also be delicious.
- Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup - Any of "Campbell's Cream Of" soups work wonderfully here! My fav substitutes are cream of onion, chicken and celery.
- Cream Cheese - This makes it extra creamy! You could also use Boursin or even a little goat cheese if you wanted to switch it up.
- Sharp Cheddar - Sharp gives the most taste but you could use mild cheddar, white cheddar, pepper jack, gouda or another melting cheese of your choice.
- Parmigiano - American made Parmesan or Pecorino works just fine!
- Ritz Crackers - Any buttery crackers work!
How to make Southern Cheesy Squash Casserole with Ritz Cracker Crust
Making this southern cheesy squash casserole is super easy and quick! Here are my instructions on how to make it.
Recipe card is at the bottom of this post as always!
First, preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
Now add 2 tbsp of salted butter to a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
Once it's melted, add your chopped sweet onions and a pinch of salt and cook down for 5-10 minutes or until some color has developed.
Then add your yellow squash and another pinch of salt and cook for another 5 minutes - browning the squash just slightly. But not to the point where it's super mushy.
Now add in the fresh sage and a can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup and stir until combined and creamy.
Then stir in the room temp cream cheese, the shredded cheddar, and the grated parmigiano.
Once it's bubbling, turn down the off the heat.
Top your casserole with the crushed crackers and the remaining tbsp of butter - dividing it across the top of the dish.
Bake the casserole for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
What to pair with squash casserole
If I were making this cheesy dish, i'd pair it with some jiffy cornbread dressing, some cheesy green bean casserole, or some instant pot black eyed peas.
If you want more tasty one-pan dishes, try this chicken florentine soup, this trader joes butternut squash ravioli recipe, or this brie mac and cheese.
Save this recipe for later
Want to save this cheesy squash casserole recipe for later? I got you covered!
You can pin any image on this page or use the pretty ones I made below specifically for your Fall pinterest boards.
And if you don't already, feel free to follow me on pinterest, instagram, youtube, facebook, and tiktok for tasty inspiration shared daily!
And if pinterest isn't really your thing, you can always scroll down to the bottom of this post and print the printable recipe card.
Southern Cheesy Squash Casserole with Ritz Cracker Crust
- 3 tbsp salted butter divided
- 2 medium sized sweet onions finely diced
- 3 lbs yellow squash cut into thick coins
- 2 tbsp fresh sage jullienended
- 1 can Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 4 oz cream cheese room temp
- 8 oz sharp cheddar shredded,
- ⅓ cup parmigiano grated
- 1.5 cups butter crackers crushed
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Add 2 tbsp of salted butter to a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Once melted, add chopped sweet onions and a pinch of salt and cook down for 5-10 minutes or until some color has developed.
- Add squash and another pinch of salt and cook for another 5 minutes - browning the squash just slightly.
- Add in the fresh sage and a can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup. Stir until combined.
- Stir in the room temp cream cheese, the shredded cheddar, and the grated parmigiano until combined and bubbling.
- Top with the crushed crackers and the remaining tbsp of butter - dividing it across the top of the dish.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.