As you may know if you've been following me for a while, I absolutely adore fall! And even though it probably won't feel like it down here in Florida for a few months, that doesn't mean I'm not already in full spirit mode.
From fall scented candles to comfy sweaters and permanent sweat pants, I am all in.
I mean, how great is apple picking, the smell of cinnamon brooms, and lack of scorching florida sun beams? Then there's the whole cozy-ing up around a bonfire thing, making outrageous holiday dinner spreads, and of course, getting scared AF at all of the haunted houses. I also can't lie about how excited I am to dress our new Elote.the.Dachshund in cute ass puppy sweaters so that his little body stays all warm and snuggly when the days get shorter and the wind gets colder. GUYS ARE YOU AS EXCITED AS ME?! lolzz.
So to celebrate the changing of the seasons along with my new partnership with Sara Lee Bread (!), we decided to collaborate on a fall-themed grilled cheese. Made with creamy brie, tart green apples, honey smoked ham, sweet honey and fragrant thyme butter, this fall harvest grilled cheese will bring the comfort and warmth straight to your heart! Don't forget to pair it with some of my butternut squash and caramelized apple soup for a perfect cool-weather friendly meal.
And if you happen to catch this post before Wednesday, October 4th at 3pm est, head on over to my Grilled Cheese Social Facebook Page to watch me make both of these recipes live!
RECIPE: Apple Picker's Harvest Grilled Cheese made with brie, fresh apples, smoked ham, honey and fresh thyme butter
- 2 slices of Sara Lee Artesano Golden Wheat Bread
- 6 thin slices of brie
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ apple, sliced thin
- 3 slices smoked ham
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 pats salted butter, room temperature
- Begin by mixing the fresh thyme with the room temperature butter and set aside.
- Place two slices of Sara Lee Artesano bread on a cutting board and drizzle each slice with honey. Add half of the brie to one slice followed by the sliced apples and the smoked ham. Add the remaining brie on top and cover with the other slice of Sara Lee Artesano Golden Wheat Bread, honey side down. Evenly smear the thyme butter onto both exteriors of the sandwich and set aside.
- Grill the sandwich in either a panini press or a cast iron skillet until the bread is golden brown and the brie has melted; about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 1 minute before slicing in half.
**Find more Sara Lee recipes on SaraLeeBread.com**
RECIPE: Butternut Squash and Caramelized Apple Soup
- ½ large butternut squash, halved
- 2 large shallot bulbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 sage leaves
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne
- optional garnish - apple crisps, pomegranate, fried sage leaves + half tsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle the butternut squash with olive oil, sea salt and cinnamon. Bake for 45 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, and add sage, apple, shallot, salt, and cinnamon stick and cook until soft.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Scrape the center out of the butternut squash and add that to the pot along with ¼ cup brown sugar. Continue simmering for 10 minutes and remove cinnamon stick. Using an immersion blender, pulse soup until smooth.
- Stir in heavy cream and finish with a dash of nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Add honey if squash isn't in season or you feel as if soup needs to be sweeter.
- **Optional Garnish** Add apple crisps, pomegranates and fried sage leaves to the center of the bowl. Carefully fill a spoon up with heavy cream and drizzle it around the soup bowl.